Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noam Chomsky: The Singularity is Science Fiction

2 posters

:: General :: Science

Go down

Noam Chomsky: The Singularity is Science Fiction Empty Noam Chomsky: The Singularity is Science Fiction

Post by Admin Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Admin
Admin

Tendency : Revolutionary Syndicalist

http://www.wix.com/executivecommittee/home

Back to top Go down

Noam Chomsky: The Singularity is Science Fiction Empty Re: Noam Chomsky: The Singularity is Science Fiction

Post by Rev Scare Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:55 pm

I have come to the same conclusion after contemplating and studying the subject since my introduction to it. The notion that capitalism is progressing toward some technological singularity by 2040 is preposterous.

As somebody who is majoring in a germane field, I can unequivocally state that we are infinitely removed from any "superintelligences" (our understanding of the mind remains wholly inadequate, and the ability to process complex algorithms is not meaningfully related to thought) that might usher in this blistering technological evolution. No amount of statistical chicanery (such as simplistic extrapolations of hyperbolic growth curves and log-log graphs) can overcome the scientific and philosophical shortcomings of these reductionist, deterministic techno-cultists—let alone real world impediments.

Jaron Lanier, the prominent computer scientist, on the religious nature of singularitarianism (rapture of the nerds):

Rev Scare
Rev Scare

Tendency : Revolutionary Syndicalist

http://www.wix.com/executivecommittee/home

Back to top Go down