Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers

3 posters

Go down

'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers Empty 'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers

Post by Admin Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:22 am

Tea Party Audience Cheers 'Let Him Die' At Florida GOP Debate
'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers Costumes

A bit of a startling moment happened near the end of Monday night's CNN debate when a hypothetical question was posed to Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas).

What do you tell a guy who is sick, goes into a coma and doesn't have health insurance? Who pays for his coverage? "Are you saying society should just let him die?" Wolf Blitzer asked.

"Yeah!" several members of the crowd yelled out.

Paul interjected to offer an explanation for how this was, more-or-less, the root choice of a free society. He added that communities and non-government institutions can fill the void that the public sector is currently playing.

"We never turned anybody away from the hospital," he said of his volunteer work for churches and his career as a doctor. "We have given up on this whole concept that we might take care of ourselves, assume responsibility for ourselves ... that's the reason the cost is so high."

The answer may have struck a truly libertarian tone but it was clearly overshadowed by the members of the crowd who enthusiastically cheered the prospect of letting a man die rather than picking up the tab for his coverage.

More

Yeah, this is the country I live in. To the credit of the reactionary mob, at least they were being honest about the sort of outcomes would surely accompany such libertarian lunacy. Congressman Paul, on the other hand, seems to think (or, more likely, wants you to believe) that some benevolent private body would somehow cover the medical treatment of the uninsured in a manner comparable to (or even greater than) the government. I think even the most credulous petite bourgeois and/or lumpenproletarian, Tea Party zealot would have a hard time believing such utter nonsense. (Of course, whether or not they are willing to sacrifice the lives of innumerable people to see this vision established in this country is another matter. Judging by the reaction of the 'Tea Party' audience, I am inclined to believe that there is no limit to what such creatures are prepared to accept, in order to destroy the welfare state.)

Admin
Admin

Tendency : Revolutionary Syndicalist

http://www.wix.com/executivecommittee/home

Back to top Go down

'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers Empty Re: 'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers

Post by Rev Scare Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:35 am

I truly do not believe that these poor fools have any cogent conception of ethics. They are reactionaries in the purest sense of the term: they merely react—a knee-jerk response. I wonder if these confident ignoramuses would draw the same resolute conclusion if they were to find themselves in a position of facing the potential death of a loved one due to inadequate medical care. I am doubtful. (I hope that they would not).
Rev Scare
Rev Scare

Back to top Go down

'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers Empty Re: 'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers

Post by Pantheon Rising Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:58 pm

What the hell is with the above picture!? I didn't think Halloween was till October...

Well, those "Tea Partiers" are some scary looking people year round anyway.
Pantheon Rising
Pantheon Rising

Tendency : Marx minus Feurbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:22 am

Pantheon Rising wrote:What the hell is with the above picture!? I didn't think Halloween was till October...

Well, those "Tea Partiers" are some scary looking people year round anyway.

'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers Pb-101102-tea-party-rally-cr-452p.photoblog900
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:47 am

Rev Scare wrote:I truly do not believe that these poor fools have any cogent conception of ethics. They are reactionaries in the purest sense of the term: they merely react—a knee-jerk response. I wonder if these confident ignoramuses would draw the same resolute conclusion if they were to find themselves in a position of facing the potential death of a loved one due to inadequate medical care. I am doubtful. (I hope that they would not).

Well, that is the flaw inherent to their entire worldview. They reject the notion of any form of safety net either because they maintain excessive confidence in their current economic status or because they are grossly misinformed on the nature of a society based exclusively upon the initiative of capital. (The latter tends to be the case far more often than the former.) Either way, the needs of others are incapable of being adequately prioritized in the minds of such individuals, with the possible exception of a few interest groups (e.g. disabled veterans, etc.).
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:07 am

Good analysis of this story by Krugman.

Free To Die
by Paul Krugman

'Let Him Die' Tea Party Audience Cheers Uninsured
Today, “free to choose” has become “free to die.”

I’m referring, as you might guess, to what happened during Monday’s G.O.P. presidential debate. CNN’s Wolf Blitzer asked Representative Ron Paul what we should do if a 30-year-old man who chose not to purchase health insurance suddenly found himself in need of six months of intensive care. Mr. Paul replied, “That’s what freedom is all about — taking your own risks.” Mr. Blitzer pressed him again, asking whether “society should just let him die.”

And the crowd erupted with cheers and shouts of “Yeah!”

The incident highlighted something that I don’t think most political commentators have fully absorbed: at this point, American politics is fundamentally about different moral visions.

Now, there are two things you should know about the Blitzer-Paul exchange. The first is that after the crowd weighed in, Mr. Paul basically tried to evade the question, asserting that warm-hearted doctors and charitable individuals would always make sure that people received the care they needed — or at least they would if they hadn’t been corrupted by the welfare state. Sorry, but that’s a fantasy. People who can’t afford essential medical care often fail to get it, and always have — and sometimes they die as a result.

The second is that very few of those who die from lack of medical care look like Mr. Blitzer’s hypothetical individual who could and should have bought insurance. In reality, most uninsured Americans either have low incomes and cannot afford insurance, or are rejected by insurers because they have chronic conditions.

So would people on the right be willing to let those who are uninsured through no fault of their own die from lack of care? The answer, based on recent history, is a resounding “Yeah!”

More

Krugman is correct. The nature of Blitzer's question to Paul is so very emblematic of the current state of the mainstream media. It purposefully addresses the matter of the uninsured in America from a standpoint that does little-to-nothing to challenge core bourgeois values. (This fact is glaringly obvious to anyone who bothers to watch the video.) It does not at all reflect the reality surrounding the vast majority of uninsured Americans — who lack coverage through absolutely no fault of their own.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down