Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

 :: General :: History

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Steinkopf on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Wikipedia wrote:The Communist Party of Peru (Spanish: Partido Comunista del Perú), more commonly known as the Shining Path (Sendero Luminoso), is a Maoist guerrilla insurgent organization in Peru. When it first launched the internal conflict in Peru in 1980, its stated goal was to replace what it saw as bourgeois democracy with "New Democracy". The Shining Path believed that by establishing a dictatorship of the proletariat, inducing cultural revolution, and eventually sparking world revolution, they could arrive at pure communism. Their representatives said that existing socialist countries were revisionist, and they claimed to be the vanguard of the world communist movement. The Shining Path's ideology and tactics have been influential among other Maoist insurgent groups, notably the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) and other Revolutionary Internationalist Movement-affiliated organizations.

Widely condemned for its brutality, including violence deployed against peasants, trade union organizers, popularly elected officials and the general civilian population, the Shining Path is classified by the Peruvian government, the U.S., the European Union, and Canada as a terrorist organization.

Since the capture of its leader Abimael Guzmán in 1992, the Shining Path has declined in activity. Certain factions of the Shining Path now claim to fight in order to force the government to reach a peace treaty with the rebels. Similar to militant groups in Colombia, some factions of the Shining Path have functioned as a highly efficient cocaine-smuggling operation, with an ostensibly paternalistic relationship to villagers.

I know, I took it from Wikipedia, but I strikethrought what I know it's a lie made by the mass media in Peru or by the fear of a revolution in Latin America.

Despite the source, I'd like to know what you guys think about this Maoist organization that nowadays is dead, since their leader is in the jail and guerrila is almost without active members. Do you think the Maoist as it was applied in China would work in Peru? The fight against Han chauvinism could be embodied in sudaca/mestizo racism against blacks, asians and natives (sometimes, even whites)? Could it be allied with Venezuela?
avatar
Steinkopf
___________________________
___________________________

Posts : 3
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-12-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Celtiberian on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:40 pm

I'm not informed enough on the social and political situation in Peru to offer a considered opinion on the subject. With that said, the trouble with Maoist theory, as I see it, is its flagrant disregard of the tenets of historical materialism. As a Marxist, I consider most attempts at state-directed social engineering fundamentally misguided. Racism (as opposed to benign ethnic identification), in my opinion, is largely a consequence of material privation and/or the competitive ethos capitalism instills in those who reside within countries subordinated to the law of value. Intergroup bias and general ignorance can also produce racist pathologies, but I believe the evidence points to material factors as the chief impetus.

Thus the most effective means for South American countries to combat racism, in my opinion, would be to resist imperial interference, construct a socialist commonwealth, and further develop their economies. This is obviously easier said than done, but I see no alternative.

_________________
RSF Executive Committee (Chairman)
"The dogma of human equality is no part of Communism . . . the formula of Communism: 'from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs', would be nonsense, if abilities were equal."
—J. B. S. Haldane Hammer Sickle

"Nationality. . . is a historic, local fact which, like all real and harmless facts, has the right to claim general acceptance. . . Every people, like every person, is involuntarily that which it is and therefore has a right to be itself. . . Nationality is not a principle; it is a legitimate fact, just as individuality is. Every nationality, great or small, has the incontestable right to be itself, to live according to its own nature. This right is simply the corollary of the general principle of freedom."
—Mikhail Bakunin Red Star
avatar
Celtiberian
________________________
________________________

Tendency : Revolutionary Syndicalist
Posts : 1523
Reputation : 1615
Join date : 2011-04-04
Age : 30
Location : Florida

http://www.wix.com/executivecommittee/home

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Uberak on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Steinkopf wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The Communist Party of Peru (Spanish: Partido Comunista del Perú), more commonly known as the Shining Path (Sendero Luminoso), is a Maoist guerrilla insurgent organization in Peru. When it first launched the internal conflict in Peru in 1980, its stated goal was to replace what it saw as bourgeois democracy with "New Democracy". The Shining Path believed that by establishing a dictatorship of the proletariat, inducing cultural revolution, and eventually sparking world revolution, they could arrive at pure communism. Their representatives said that existing socialist countries were revisionist, and they claimed to be the vanguard of the world communist movement. The Shining Path's ideology and tactics have been influential among other Maoist insurgent groups, notably the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) and other Revolutionary Internationalist Movement-affiliated organizations.

Widely condemned for its brutality, including violence deployed against peasants, trade union organizers, popularly elected officials and the general civilian population, the Shining Path is classified by the Peruvian government, the U.S., the European Union, and Canada as a terrorist organization.

Since the capture of its leader Abimael Guzmán in 1992, the Shining Path has declined in activity. Certain factions of the Shining Path now claim to fight in order to force the government to reach a peace treaty with the rebels. Similar to militant groups in Colombia, some factions of the Shining Path have functioned as a highly efficient cocaine-smuggling operation, with an ostensibly paternalistic relationship to villagers.

I know, I took it from Wikipedia, but I strikethrought what I know it's a lie made by the mass media in Peru or by the fear of a revolution in Latin America.

Despite the source, I'd like to know what you guys think about this Maoist organization that nowadays is dead, since their leader is in the jail and guerrila is almost without active members. Do you think the Maoist as it was applied in China would work in Peru? The fight against Han chauvinism could be embodied in sudaca/mestizo racism against blacks, asians and natives (sometimes, even whites)? Could it be allied with Venezuela?

Any evidence that is merely propaganda?

Also, there are the charges of brutality that you have strangely not slashed out.

This combined with my general disdain for Marxist-Leninists and especially Maoists pretty much guarantees that the only care that I would have for the group is defeating them if I actually managed to care about Peruvian politics.
avatar
Uberak
_________________________
_________________________

Tendency : Cantonalist
Posts : 129
Reputation : 65
Join date : 2013-02-24
Age : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Intelligitimate on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:42 pm

There is a book in Spanish that argues Sendero Luminoso was a CIA operation. You can find it online here:

xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/8741562/10798886/name/CIA+SENDERO+LUMINOSO.+GUERRA+POLITICA.pdf

CIA Sendero Luminoso Guerra Politica.




If anyone could find a way to translate this into readable English, I'd be eternally grateful.

Intelligitimate
___________________________
___________________________

Tendency : Marxism-Leninism
Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by HomelessArtist on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:47 pm

Translating a whole book its a lot of work. It will be more fullfilling to learn spanish.

_________________
December the 12th, 2014: Uberak owes me a night of practicing water colors.

HomelessArtist
___________________________
___________________________

Tendency : conservative socialist
Posts : 98
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2013-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Intelligitimate on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 am

The thing is, I want this book widely available in English. There is a certain segment of the "Left" in the West that worships this group. It is not uncommon to see English speaking "Maoists" to claim the only 'real' revolutionaries in the world are Sendero Luminoso, the CPI-Maoist, and whatever group they support this week in Nepal. All the people who spew this shit in America I have met are connected to the Labor Aristocracy in some fashion, so it would be a huge antidote to their bullshit to have this document widely available for English speakers.

Intelligitimate
___________________________
___________________________

Tendency : Marxism-Leninism
Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Finnish Nat-Bol on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Intelligitimate wrote:The thing is, I want this book widely available in English. There is a certain segment of the "Left" in the West that worships this group. It is not uncommon to see English speaking "Maoists" to claim the only 'real' revolutionaries in the world are Sendero Luminoso, the CPI-Maoist, and whatever group they support this week in Nepal. All the people who spew this shit in America I have met are connected to the Labor Aristocracy in some fashion, so it would be a huge antidote to their bullshit to have this document widely available for English speakers.
I don't think you should say something like that about a book you haven't read.

_________________
"The socialist revolution must be carried out, no matter under what flag the revolution is fought."
-Juan Perón

"The rich man's dog gets more in the way of vaccination, medicine and medical care than do the workers upon whom the rich man's wealth is built."
-Samora Machel
avatar
Finnish Nat-Bol
___________________________
___________________________

Tendency : National Bolshevism
Posts : 23
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2014-07-11
Age : 18
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by patriotic_worker on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm

It would be interesting to find out more. Does anyone know of any links?

_________________
Nationality. . . is a historic, local fact which, like all real and harmless facts, has the right to claim general acceptance. . . Every people, like every person, is involuntarily that which it is and therefore has a right to be itself. . . Nationality is not a principle; it is a legitimate fact, just as individuality is. Every nationality, great or small, has the incontestable right to be itself, to live according to its own nature. This right is simply the corollary of the general principle of freedom."
—Mikhail Bakunin
avatar
patriotic_worker
___________________________
___________________________

Tendency : Democratic Socialist
Posts : 30
Reputation : 23
Join date : 2013-08-17
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Intelligitimate on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Finnish Nat-Bol wrote:
Intelligitimate wrote:The thing is, I want this book widely available in English. There is a certain segment of the "Left" in the West that worships this group. It is not uncommon to see English speaking "Maoists" to claim the only 'real' revolutionaries in the world are Sendero Luminoso, the CPI-Maoist, and whatever group they support this week in Nepal. All the people who spew this shit in America I have met are connected to the Labor Aristocracy in some fashion, so it would be a huge antidote to their bullshit to have this document widely available for English speakers.
I don't think you should say something like that about a book you haven't read.

I have machine-translated the entire thing, plus I have a rudimentary understanding of Spanish (two semesters of it in college). What I have read of it is actually really good. It's just almost no one would sit down and read a machine translation of this.

MIM used to accuse RCP of being CIA agents based on shit going on in Peru. I think this critique takes things a bit further (hehe). My experience is Guzman-worshippers in the West justify all their pro-imperialist politics based on "Ortho" "Maoist" crap. This is just another book linking them and their politics back to the US imperialists they falsely claim to oppose.

Intelligitimate
___________________________
___________________________

Tendency : Marxism-Leninism
Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Intelligitimate on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 pm

patriotic_worker wrote:It would be interesting to find out more. Does anyone know of any links?

I linked to the entire book (in Spanish). Google searching the book doesn't reveal much more than a few scholars and Spanish-speaking radicals talk about the book a bit. I can find no attempted refutations of it anywhere.

Intelligitimate
___________________________
___________________________

Tendency : Marxism-Leninism
Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Finnish Nat-Bol on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Intelligitimate wrote:
Finnish Nat-Bol wrote:
Intelligitimate wrote:The thing is, I want this book widely available in English. There is a certain segment of the "Left" in the West that worships this group. It is not uncommon to see English speaking "Maoists" to claim the only 'real' revolutionaries in the world are Sendero Luminoso, the CPI-Maoist, and whatever group they support this week in Nepal. All the people who spew this shit in America I have met are connected to the Labor Aristocracy in some fashion, so it would be a huge antidote to their bullshit to have this document widely available for English speakers.
I don't think you should say something like that about a book you haven't read.

I have machine-translated the entire thing, plus I have a rudimentary understanding of Spanish (two semesters of it in college). What I have read of it is actually really good. It's just almost no one would sit down and read a machine translation of this.

MIM used to accuse RCP of being CIA agents based on shit going on in Peru. I think this critique takes things a bit further (hehe). My experience is Guzman-worshippers in the West justify all their pro-imperialist politics based on "Ortho" "Maoist" crap. This is just another book linking them and their politics back to the US imperialists they falsely claim to oppose.
In that case, I apologize. But what exactly do you mean with "their pro-imperialist politics"? I understand that many Western "Maoists" (and other "leftists") have some pro-imperialist views, but I would need a clarification before I can say for sure what you mean.

_________________
"The socialist revolution must be carried out, no matter under what flag the revolution is fought."
-Juan Perón

"The rich man's dog gets more in the way of vaccination, medicine and medical care than do the workers upon whom the rich man's wealth is built."
-Samora Machel
avatar
Finnish Nat-Bol
___________________________
___________________________

Tendency : National Bolshevism
Posts : 23
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2014-07-11
Age : 18
Location : Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Intelligitimate on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:59 pm

Finnish Nat-Bol wrote:In that case, I apologize. But what exactly do you mean with "their pro-imperialist politics"? I understand that many Western "Maoists" (and other "leftists") have some pro-imperialist views, but I would need a clarification before I can say for sure what you mean.

Basically those "Leftists" going around supporting Takfiri-fascists in Libya, Syria, supporting Neo-Nazis in the Ukraine, etc. The people who do this are agents of the imperialists, spreading the imperialist-line to the masses in order to build support for imperialist intervention. The "Maoists" have been rather silent on this stuff lately, but if you push them, they will spit a pro-imperialist line. My experience dealing with people like this in person is that they are always connected to the Democratic Party in some fashion.

Intelligitimate
___________________________
___________________________

Tendency : Marxism-Leninism
Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2014-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Sendero Luminoso - The Shining Path.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 :: General :: History

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum